About this Show

Anderson Cooper 360

Blade Runner Murder or Mistake News/Business. (2013) (CC)

NETWORK
CNN

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 759 (CNN HD)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1920

PIXEL HEIGHT
1080

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Oscar Pistorius 13, Reeva Steenkamp 11, Reeva 8, Us 7, South Africa 6, Phillips 3, Boris 3, Olympics 3, Oscar 3, Jamaica 2, London 2, Tiffany Hartley 2, Valentine 2, Centrum 2, Celebrex 2, Buk 2, Subaru 2, Nike 2, Legalzoom 2, Ulcers 1,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  CNN    Anderson Cooper 360    Blade Runner Murder or Mistake  
    News/Business.  (2013)  (CC)  

    February 23, 2013
    6:00 - 7:00pm PST  

6:00pm
organization, because, remember, this is bad for business. >> reporter: if the killers are dead, tiffany hartley may never be able to prove what happened. she knows how many people still don't believe her story. and she and david were just sightseeing, that she tried to save him. that she outran boats with gunmen firing at her, in interviews she remains unemotional. that, too, in the eyes of many has made tiffany hartley suspect. >> people don't see me at night had i go to bed. they don't see me in the mornings when i'm waking up.
6:01pm
>> reporter: what would they say? >> every night i miss my husband. and i -- i mislaying next to him and kissing him good night. >> reporter: and for tiffany hartley, those are the kinds of memories that will last. far beyond the questions and speculation that have followed her since that fateful day on falcon lake. >> i want my "why" to be answered, and i know i'm never going to know why until the day i can ask god. an inspiring hero. a beautiful model. we start this morning with a
6:02pm
shocking valentine's day tragedy. >> a nation in shock. >> it's devastating, tragic. >> the world renowned olympian oscar pistorius has been charged with murder in the death of his girlfriend. >> for a week, the world has watched the triumphant story of oscar pistorius turn to tragedy. just last summer, this was pistori pistorius, the first amputee ever to compete in the olympic games. and a source of enormous pride for a sports crazed nation. today, a totally different scene. >> yesterday we talled him a hero and the following day, people say nah, he should just be put to the sword. >> and a flood of confusing detail. >> a lot of speculation. >> the neighbors did hear speculation. >> he thought she was a burglar. >> but everyone agrees on a single tragic fact -- on
6:03pm
valentine's day, oscar miss tor yum shot and killed his girlfriend reeva steenkamp, leaving her family without a daughter and a nation without its hero. hello, i'm randi kaye. "blade runner -- murder or mistake?" millions of feel have been asking those key questions, rivetted by every detail since that dilling. those details emerged in sharp relief during a four-day court proceeding to determine whether the blade runner, oscar pistorius remains free until trial. he will. but for three of those four days it was hard to tell and impossible to turn away. in this hour, we're going to walk you through those days and what lies ahead. we'll show you the evidence and lay out the case with our legal and forensic experts. first, a look at how we got here, including the rare legal decision to introduce an account of that fateful morning in oscar
6:04pm
pistorius' own words. >> it was february 14, valentine's day, long before dawn. and something awful was about to happen inside the home of track star oscar pistorius. >> by 4:15 p.m., the lead investigator was would arrive to find pistorius' girlfriend dead, killed by three gunshots that pistorius had fired. was it murder or a terrible mistake? we may never know the real story, but oscar pistorius wants us to know his story, detailed in this rare affidavit he gave the court. hours before the fatal shooting, pistorius says it was a normal evening at home for him and his girlfriend reeva steenkamp. a quiet dinner, then tv dinner
6:05pm
in bed for him and yoga for her. we were deeply in love and i could not be happier. i know she felt the same way. she had given me a present for valentine's day but asked me to open it only the next day. according to the affidavit, he and reeva fell asleep. then suddenly, hours later pistorius jolted awake. his valentine's celebration was about to take a deadly turn. i woke up, went on to the balcony to bring the fan in and close the sliding doors, the blinds and the curtains. i heard a noise in the bathroom and realized that someone was in the bathroom. i felt a sense of terror rushing over me. there are no burglar bars across the bathroom window and i knew that contractors who worked at my house had left the ladders outside. although i did not have my prosthetic legs on, i had mobility on my stumps.
6:06pm
pistorius said he was too afraid to turn on the light. i grabbed my 9 millimeter pistol from underneath my bed. he screamed at the intruders to get out. he told the court, and made his way through the pitch dark to the bathroom. i realized the intruder was in the toilet because the toilet door was closed and i did not hear anyone in the bathroom. i heard movement i side the toilet. and then i shot at the toilet door and shouted at reeva to phone the police. >> you say hey, honey did you hear that? you do that first before you fire shots. you protect them. you stay here. i'm going to go check. but none of that happened. instead he claims he jumped right out of bed, got his gun and fired right into the toilet. >> when the shooting stopped,
6:07pm
pistorius writes i moved backwards out of the bathroom, keeping my eyes on the bam room entrance. everything was pitch dark in the bedroom and i was still too scared to switch on a light. reeva was not responding. pistorius made his way to the bed where he thought he would find reeva. when i reached the bed, i realized reeva was not in the bed. that's when it dawned on me it could have been reev in the toilet. i tried to open the door but it was locked. i rushed back to the bed and opened the sliding door exiting on to the balcony and yelled for help. >> an investigator told the court a witness heard gunshots, a woman screaming, then more gunshots.
6:08pm
by the time it was over, reeva steenkamp was fatally wounded behind the bathroom door. she had been struck three times in the hip, elbow and in the head. next pistorius said he put on his prosthetic legs and ran back to the bathroom. when he couldn't kick the door open, he said he used his cricket bat to break open the door to the toilet. there, he writes, he found reeva slumped over but alive. 3is tor yus said he frantically made calls for help, first to his estate supervisor then paramedics, all before picking up reeva's bloody body. as pistorius tells it, i battled to get her out of the toilet and pulled her into the bathroom. then he writes he phoned netcare for help and unloeked the front door. pistorius had been told ottawa to wait for an ambulance, so he
6:09pm
returned to the bathroom and picked reeva up. i carried her down stairs, he writes. i tried to render the assistance to reev that i could, but she died in my arms. it was over, and oscar pistorius was responsible. >> he's in extreme shock. and so he's grieving and he's -- and i don't expect him to get over it soon. >> prosecutors say this was no mistake. they tell a tale of premeditated murder, a boyfriend fuelled by rage after a long night of arguing. a woman vulnerable, pistorius calculating an angle, faking aim at the toilet where reeva steenkamp was and firing. >> the defense is not going to dispute that he shot through the bathroom door and he's not going to dispute the angle of the
6:10pm
bullets was what it was. it showed that the trajectory showed it was downward and to the left, which the prosecution sa says is significant, because it's as though he's aiming at someone on the toilet as opposed to someone cowering or hiding in the bathroom itself. >> still so many unanswered questions, such as how did reeva enter the bathroom unnoticed? pistorius' defense lawyer believes she slipped into the bathroom when pistorius first got up to close the balcony door. and why would reeva lock the door? was she trying to protect herself from pistorius or an intruder? pistorius' defense team argues she locked the door only because she heard pistorius yelling at an intruder to leave? and what about the two bloody cell phones found inside the bathroom? how did they get there? so much evidence to unravel and
6:11pm
an investigation far from over that may have been bungled from the start. pistorius' defense lawyer says his team found a bullet in the toilet that police had missed. and it turns out investigators entered pistorius' home without wearing protective foot covers simply because they had run out of them. >> by the time the investigators got there, there was the lawyer even the brother were already there. so that scene was heavily contaminated before the investigators could secure the scene itself. one of the things is taking a look at what most investigators do is what's the residue? what kind of hairs or fibers are there. was any type of evidence disturbed? and so it's going to complicate their investigation in a fairly large way.
6:12pm
>> an investigation that's already been complicated by celebrity, publicity, and oscar pistorius' odd offering to the court about his girlfriend's last breath. >> in granting bail, about $112,000, by the way, the judge took care and about two hours to explain his decision. he barred cameras from the court, so we only have audio, as he laid out points of the law and raised questions of his own about each side, including this -- >> i have difficulty appreciating why the accused did not ascertain the whereabouts of his girlfriend. i also have difficulty coming to the fact that the accused didn't verify who was in the toilet. i also have difficulty appreciating why the deceased would not have screamed from the toilet. i have dpifltty understanding why the deceased and the accused
6:13pm
would not of like mind in those circumstances escape through the bedroom door then venture into the toilet? >> the judge did not consider those questions reason enough to deny bail, but if this case does go to trial, they will certainly come up again. i talked about it with robin who's been covering this case from the beginning. robin, such a dramatic bail hearing. take us inside. what was it like? >> i think the word is claustrophobic. it was a small courtroom, far too snaul for this kind of case. it was very hot. often, you know, we found ourselves wiping away beads of sweat. and then again, this sort of palpable sense of tension that kept on building up. and particularly when that magistrate made that final exhaustively long final judgment. >> over the course of thf case so far, we' seen many faces of oscar pistorius. we've seen him go from
6:14pm
distraught and emotional to stoic and withdrawn. what was he like at the bail hearing? >> definitely is a sense that oscar has withdrawn into himself. whether this is a combination of shock, of exhaustion of, uh yo know, a mental state that is perhaps not entirely healthy at the moment. but this is a man who really, you know, i think is coming to terms with the fact that he did something absolutely terrible. >> certainly a lot of attention paid to this case. you see the cameras in that courtroom every day. the media chased the car carrying pistorius as it left the courthouse, is that right? >> there's been such a media interest in this. the chasing i think that was slightly disturbing because it looked like there were motorcycle riders following him basically to the house where he's going to live. so there was that sort of sense that a pack was hunting him. and whether that's right or not, ones vously, you know, you've got to skrk well, this is a man who has admitted to murdering his girlfriend on valentine's
6:15pm
day. there's a huge media attention. >> he went back to his uncle's house after the bail hearing. what happens now? >> in terms of what's next, he's got to prepare for a monumental, life-changing trial. he's got a very smart team of people around him. this is literally going to be a day job. whether he starts training again, that's also another question. but let's not forget reeva. the drama, all of the chaos, all of the twists and turns and bombshells that we've seen in court, i mean, just remember sitting quietly in a small seaside town in port elizabeth is a family that's broken as well. >> absolutely. thank you very much. ahead, answers to the questions everyone is asking -- what bail justified? does the defendant's account make any sense? what happens at trial and will it even make it there?
6:16pm
the best legal and forensic experts around here to debate the case next. and later, the promising life cut short. remembering reeva steenkamp as "ac! 360" continues. the bar harbor bake is really worth trying. [ male announcer ] get more during red lobster's lobsterfest. with the year's largest selection of mouth-watering lobster entrees. like our delicious lobster lover's dream, featuring two kinds of succulent lobster tails. or our savory, new grilled maine lobster and lobster tacos. it's back, but not for long. [ woman ] our guests go crazy for lobsterfest. my favorite entree is the lobster lover's dream. what's yours? come celebrate lobsterfest and sea food differently. i can't believe your mom let you cometake her car out.ck!st this is awesome! whoooo! you're crazy. go faster! go faster! go faster! go faster! no! stop...stop... (mom) i raised my son to be careful...
6:17pm
hi, sweetie. hi, mom. (mom) but just to be safe... i got a subaru. (announcer) love. it's what makes a subaru a subaru. i'm here to pick up some cacti. it should be under stephens. the verizon share everything plan for small business. get a shareable pool of data... got enough joshua trees? ... on up to 25 devices. so you can spend less time... yea, the golden barrels... managing wireless costs and technology and more time driving your business potential. looks like we're going to need to order more agaves... ah! oh! ow! ... and more bandages. that's powerful. shareable data plus unlimited talk and text. now save $50 on a droid razr maxx hd by motorola. from capital one... boris earns unlimited rewards for his small business. can i get the smith contract, please? thank you. that's three new paper shredders. [ boris ] put 'em on my spark card. [ garth ] boris' small business earns 2% cash back on every purchase every day. great businesses deserve unlimited rewards. read back the chicken's testimony, please.
6:18pm
"buk, buk, bukka!" [ male announcer ] get the spark business card from capital one and earn unlimited rewards. choose 2% cash back or double miles on every purchase every day. told you i'd get half. what's in your wallet? [ male announcer ] make your escape... twice as rewarding. earn double points or double miles on all your hotel stays through march thirty first. sign up now at hiltondouble.com.
6:19pm
the whole world is watching this case. whether or not it weighed on the judge is hard tor say. what's clear, though, is he explained his decision with great care and at great reng length. you heard a moment ago raising questions about the defense. here he lays out certain challenges for the prosecution. >> there are no witnesses. the only person who knows so much what happened is the accused. when we're dealing with zefld, pieces of puzzle need to be put together. by the time the state is ready or trial ready have more pieces of the puzzle. >> a lot to talk about starting
6:20pm
with the drama around this bail hearing. the burden that pistorius had to meet was a tough burden. but they focused a lot on the issue of was there really a risk of flight? and it was very hard for the prosecution to argue seriously that oscar pistorius was going to flee, without a passport,
6:21pm
being a celebrity, having a conspicuous disability, the idea that he was going to plea was implausible. that was the key to him getting bail. >> and mark, this may be the one thing you agree. you had predicted. this you also said he would be granted bail? >> right. i thought the magistrate telegraphed it early on in this hearing. i think the big problem for the prosecution is they overplayed their hand. if they had gone in and handled this differently, they might have been able to get this magistrate not to get him bail. but i just think they misplayed this entire hearing. number one, so overstating the flight risk and coming in with this idea that somehow he's got a house here, accounts there. and when then when he's cross-examined on that. well, where's your evidence of the house. he said i don't know, i heard it somewhere. he may be one of the fastest humans in the world, but he's never going to escape the
6:22pm
tabloid media on this case. >> kelly, you're an expert in south african law. did anything surprise you? the magistrate really took a long, circuitous route before announcing his ruling. is that par for the course? >> certainly not for bail proceedings. it was an exceptionally long decision he rendered. i think he knew how much was at stake. he was really considering what kind of measured decision he had made and how he reached hids decision. i think his decision is the correct decision. and defensible. >> and the bail itself, $120,000 says low certainly in terms of the american system.
6:23pm
what do you make of that? >> a million rand is a fortune for many south africans. it's certainly not an unreasonable amount from a local perspective. >> the lead detective was taken to task on how he collected evidence. that detective was removed from the case. how big a setback dune that is for the prosecution? how much will this case depend on forensics. >> this we will be able to tell whether the evidence is consistent with the affidavit of mr. pistorius or not. that will talk to his credibility. i think the crime scene work is very crucial, because you have to start off with pristine evidence to analyze it and secure the information that you're looking for. and the fact of the matter is people are supposed to wear booties on their shoes to
6:24pm
protect the scene from contamination. >> they said they simply ran out of them. >> not only didn't, but the removal of the guy who was first on the scene, the lean detective, he's out of there now. the defense is going to have the people that they brought in able to testify. they're the ones who discovered the shell in the toilet area. they're the ones who are going to look like we did this right. the other guys are a bunch of bumbling idiots. >> even though there were mistakes made, don't you think there was enough evidence that we will know a lot more about how this crime unfolded when this case goes to trial? >> no question. the botched crime scene is certainly not good for the prosecuti prosecution, but it's not fatal to the prosecution's case. when you look at all the evidence, which we haven't heard about yet, there's a lot we don't know. just from what we do know already, the ballistic evidence, the spatter of evidence on a number of items in the bathroom,
6:25pm
this is going to be very telling. >> as a defense attorney, what really stood out to you. are there any weaknesses in the defense's case? >> there's always going to be weaknesses in the defense case. >> i understand that. those are problems. but this is a defense lawyer's dream in the way the prosecution has brought this up. not every day is it revealed that the lead dblt faces seven attempted murder counts. then you found he hasn't even looked at the item he's floated out there, trying to create this 'roid rage. he didn't even read the whole word and he didn't test it, we
6:26pm
don't have the test results thing. those become irreparable for the prosecution for them to get over. but we don't have a jury. >> stick around, we want to talk about what's next in this case in this dramatic week. plus oscar pistorius is recognized around the world and revered by his fans. how he became a hero to so many and what you may not know about his past. later, all the plans reeva steenkamp had for her future died with her. for her family, it is an incomprehensible loss. you'll hear from her brothers and others when ac: 360 blade runner -- murder or mistake continues. years ago, my doctor told me
6:27pm
to take a centrum silver multivitamin every day. i told him, sure. can't hurt, right? then i heard this news about a multivitamin study looking at long-term health benefits for men over 50. the one they used in that study... centrum silver. that's what i take. my doctor! he knows his stuff. [ male announcer ] centrum. the most recommended. most preferred. most studied. centrum, always your most complete. i've been using crest pro-health for a week. my dentist said it was gonna help transform my mouth. [ male announcer ] go pro. for a clean that's up to four times better, try these crest pro-health products together. [ sara ] i've been using crest pro-health. so far...it feels different. [ male announcer ] crest pro-health protects not just some, but all these areas dentists check most. my mouth feels healthier. it feels cleaner. i think my dentist is gonna see the difference.
6:28pm
[ male announcer ] go pro with crest pro-health. i don't think i'll ever go back to another product. see.
6:29pm
6:30pm
we're back on "anderson cooper 360." oscar pistorius, the blade runner, out on bail due back in court june 4th. i want to talk more about what a trial might look like and why it may never take place. back with the panel. >> all of this kind of paranoia -- it now goes to a junl. there's no jury system there. it has a lot to do with the the makeup of society. help us understand how judges are schooled to deal with cases without the aid of a jury.
6:31pm
>> we believe that judges spend their entire working lives being immersed in the law and trained in the law and schooled towards being objective in applying their minds to the law in a neutral way. and that is the safeguard for justice. we also every aspect of our legal system is enviewed with our constitution and our constitutional law. and the constitution itself really was a very collaborative process that is an expression of the people of south africa. in that prospect, they have a voice in the law and an influence in the law, but not in terms of deciding individual cases. >> mark, as you and i talked about, the magistrate commended
6:32pm
pistorius for offering this it very, very complete and thorough affidavit. his version of the events for the record. he even said it helped him in making his decision to grant him bail. couldn't that come back to haunt him? >> absolutely. they made the calculated decision. they said this case is infinitely better if he's out and not in for a multitude of reasons. for the lawyer's standpoint, i can't tell you how important it is to have the client out in terms of preparing a case. number one. and number two, i think they felt strongly that they had been out to that scene, even though they haven't, i assume, gone through all of the expert forensic analysis they are going to do, they took a look at the door and have an idea what the ballistics are going to come back to. i think they understand whether or not somebody could have heard screaming or not. so there's a certain amount of that that's probably not going to come back to bite him.
6:33pm
there are other things that are problematic if it comes back. the toxicology for instance. >> it's true that there are problems with the prosecution's case. there are problems with the defense case, that's for sure. today it looks like it cries out for a plea bargain. south africa, as i understand it, has an active plea bargaining culture, as do we in the united states. there is culpable homicide out there as a possible compromise from premeditated murder. and given the fact that everybody agrees that pistorius fired the shots that caused the fatal injuries, it just seems to me that now that he's going to be out on bail, the preparations could last a long time, i would not be at all surprised to see
6:34pm
this case end in a plea. >> so no trial? >> today or the day before when he made the argument, the defense lawyer, he argued that this is a culpable homicide. so that's almost a telegraphing of, look, this might be something that's acceptable. this may be somewhere this case could end up. >> as a forensics expert, really in his affidavit in his version, it serves as a road map for someone like yourself. >> it was a terrible mistake to write a detailed affidavit. the burden is on the prosecution, not on the defense. he had to say something, but you don't give such great detail because every single part of that affidavit can be verified or not verified by the evidence. the evidence doesn't lie. it's a matter of interpreting it. but clearly if he says he was in one position and the evidence says something different, there goes his credibility. >> i thought exactly the same thing when i read the affidavit. but mark has a point here.
6:35pm
that affidavit turned out to be very important in getting him bail. >> that's not the case. >> there's leverage in the case. >> i'm right because i agree with you. >> what do you think is going to be the most important piece of forensic evidence? >> i would think that the ballistics evidence would be crucial here. >> the angle? >> the difference in the story has to do with whether he was wearing his prosthetic legs or not. that would change his height, the position of the gun. there's a lot we can tell with forensics. we can talk about the distance between the muzzle and the door. we can look at the victim. so we have a lot of information about bullet trajectories. so if his story is inconsistent or the angles and the height, if it doesn't connect with what he said, he is in deep, deep trouble. >> in the affidavit he said his put the prosthetics on after the
6:36pm
shooting. >> the judge raised a very breasting issue that i think is unresolved at this point. part of the prosecution theory is that she brought her phones into the bathroom because she was scared. she wanted to call for help. but the judge said there was no evidence of whether she did in fact call for help. >> they never checked the cell phones. >> someone will. and that will be significant. >> what's interesting is one of the phones has blood spatter, the other doesn't. that pattern is very crucial. is it it blowback from the gun? is that what we're talking about? did somebody touch it with a transfer of blood? it's crucial to know what kind of pattern. >> so two key statements from the defense, mark. one is that oscar pistorius says that his girlfriend had slipped into the bathroom while he was
6:37pm
closing the balcony door. that's why he didn't know she wasn't in the bed. also she had locked the bathroom door only because she heard him yelling there was an intruder in the home. how much weight do those arguments have? >> i don't know that those are going to be the kind of thing that this case turns on. i think whether he was wearing the prosthesis, because all of this feeling vulnerable, shooting and going off is more plausible if he does not have on his legs. >> we'll continue to watch it no doubt. see if it goes to trial or not. jeffrey toobin, mark, kelly, thank you all very much. we have seen oscar pistorius in a new light. a murder suspect in a tragic killing. until now, he was best known as an inspiring athlete who accomplished what no one had before him. how he got from there to here, ahead. [ man laughs ]
6:38pm
now, this is a test drive. whoa! you can really el all 335 foot-pounds of torque. it's chevy truck month! the silverado is also recognized for the lowest cost of ownership. hey, what are you gonna do with it? end table. oh. [ male announcer ] it's chevy truck month. get 0% financi for 60 months,
6:39pm
eeplus trade up to get $1,750 total allowance on a silverado all-star edition or trade up and choose customer cash, plus option package discount for a total value of $7,250. offer ends soon. begins with back pain and a choice. take advil, and maybe have to take up to four in a day. or take aleve, which can relieve pain all day with just two pills. good eye.
6:40pm
6:41pm
many of us watched oscar pistorius make history at the london olympics. a double amputee who changed the way the world sees disabilities. before he reached the olympics, he made his name at the paralympics. here's what he told me about the blade runner when whe talked earlier. >> i'm compete ago long side him. he was an inspiration to me. he went out of his way to help me out and give me insight.
6:42pm
i was new to running and he's a veteran to the track and field world. he gave me a lot of information. >> other friends of pistorius and steenkamp have been speaking out this week as well. kevin last saw the couple last month. >> oscar was very loving, happy, by no means was he behaving. he was a good guy. never was he reckless or aggressive towards anyone. when i saw them together, they were in love. oscar was a very loving person. by no means did i think their relationship was in jeopardy. >> tonight those closest to pistorius just like those of us who have never met him are trying to wrap their heads around what's happened here. it's an extraordinary turn in a story that has never been routine. ♪ >> oscar pistorius was never like everybody else.
6:43pm
>> i was missing the backbone in your leg. >> he was born that way and had both legs amputated at the knee before his first birthday. >> i grew up in a family where disability was never an issue. we didn't really speak about my disability. not because it was a topic that was taboo or we thought -- that's the mentality i have had. >> a mentality that drove him to
6:44pm
succeed to walk by 17 months, to overcome the pain of his parent's divorce and later the grief of losing his mother. to race and compete. >> sports have been a big part of my life. we grew up in south africa where most kids enjoy the outdoors. i was never an academic so i had to find something where i enjoyed. from a young age, my mother said to us, sports are about being the best, but it's about giving your best. >> when he smashed his knee playing rug by oscar took up track to help him heal, a decision that would change his life. within the year, he would be his
6:45pm
first gold at the paralympic games using cheetah blades, nicknaming him "the blade runner." >> you can see the sense of gravity. it's pretty difficult to balance on. with you're wearing them, if you're standing still, you have to put your foot down the whole time. >> he was becoming a living legend, a hero in a battered nation, a media darling. his story captured worldwide attention. his prosthetics were inspiring to me. but controversial to others. >> i have been a big advocate for fair play. when it comes to the legs i use, they have been made since 1996 and made other pairs. just from a practical point of view, there have never been athletes that run close to the the times i'm running on the 400. >> they were deemed an advantage to him, but it didn't stop him from competing. >> since i started running in 2004, most of my races have been races against able-body athletes.
6:46pm
we just have a lot more races every season. i started running the circuit. i missed the olympics in '08 by a quarter of a second. i said if i get this opportunity again, i definitely don't want to miss it. >> that opportunity came at the 2012 london olympics. pistorius caused a sensation when his appearance at the games. to some, a symbol of triumph over adversity. and his star kept rising. pistorius picked up prime sponsorships from major brands like nike. >> i have that addiction to perfection when i'm off the track as well. >> who featured him in this 2011 ad with the slogan "i am the bullet in the chamber." >> this is my weapon. this is how i fight. >> now nike is suspending their relationship with him. pistorius' fame and success made him a role model for all people. >> east done well and everybody is proud of him. >> being an international sportsman, there's a lot of responsibility that comes with it. remembering that there are kids out there that look up to you is definitely something you need to
6:47pm
keep in the back of your mind. >> pistorius had his fans, but also had his critics. he was known for having a quick temper, but friends and family say that didn't mean he would ever hurt anyone, especially not his girlfriend reeva steenkamp. >> when i saw them, they were really in love. oscar was a loving person as well as reeva. by no means did i think their relationship was in jeopardy. they were very loving. it's very sad because it was a big shock to us to hear what happened. >> pistorius used to say his life was a blessing. he was able to overcome his disability and prove himself on the field over and over again until there was no doubt about his abilities. whether he can prove himself again is the question. >> coming up, friends and family
6:48pm
try to cope with the loss of reeva steenkamp. we'll take a closer look at who reeva was and hear from her family members when our special hour continues. in motion tends to stay in motion. staying active can actually ease arthritis symptoms. but if you have arthritis, staying active can be difficult. prescription celebrex can help relieve arthritis pain so your body can stay in motion. because just one 200mg celebrex a day can provide 24 hour relief for many with arthritis pain and inflammation. plus, in clinical studies, celebrex is proven to improve daily physical function so moving is easier. celebrex can be taken with or without food. and it's not a narcotic. you and your doctor should balance the benefits with the risks. all prescription nsaids, like celebrex, ibuprofen, naproxen and meloxicam have the same cardiovascular warning. they all may increase the chance of heart attack or stroke, which can lead to death. this chance increases if you have heart disease or risk factors such as high blood pressure or when nsaids are taken for long periods.
6:49pm
nsaids, including celebrex, increase the chance of serious skin or allergic reactions or stomach and intestine problems, such as bleeding and ulcers, which can occur without warning and may cause death. patients also taking aspirin and the elderly are at increased risk for stomach bleeding and ulcers. do not take celebrex if you've had an asthma attack, hives, or other allergies to aspirin, nsaids or sulfonamides. get help right away if you have swelling of the face or throat, or trouble breathing. tell your doctor your medical history. and find an arthritis treatment for you. visit celebrex.com and ask your doctor about celebrex. for a body in motion. constipated? yeah. mm. some laxatives like dulcolax can cause cramps. but phillips' caplets don't. they have magnesium. for effective relief of occasional constipation. thanks. [ phillips' lady ] live the regular life. phillips'.
6:50pm
every signature is unique, and every fingerprint unrepeatable. at sleep number, we recognize the incredible diversity of human beings, and know that up there with your social security number and your phone number is another important number. your sleep number. so we created the extraordinarily comfortable sleep number experience.
6:51pm
it's a collection of innovations designed around a bed with dualair technology that allows you to adjust to the support your body needs - each of your bodies. and you'll only find it at a sleep number store. where right now, during the ultimate sleep number event, queen mattresses start at just $599 . and you can save an astonishing 50% on our innovative sleep number limited edition bed. final days! ends sunday! you won't find your sleep number setting at an ordinary mattress store. you'll find it exclusively at a sleep number store. sleep number. comfort...individualized. [ male announcer ] engine light on? come to meineke now for a free code scan read and you'll say...my money. my choice. my meineke. it is a riveting drama
6:52pm
that's playing out in a courtroom in south africa where oscar pistorius is accused of murdering his girlfriend. but for the family and friends of rheeva steenkamp, the story s one of terrible loss and pain. by all accounts, rhee eeva steep was a remarkable young woman, smart, ambitious and funny. these are pictures from a photo shoot that reeva did a week before her death. she said she and oscar were trying to keep their relationship out of the spotlight. she said she add mired and adored him. she said of him, quote, we haven't been talking to the media because i don't want it to get tainted. i don't want anything coming in the way of his career. he's such an amazing athlete. we've been hearing from reeva's family members as they grapple with the loss and look for the truth about what happened to her. here's what reeva's brother and cousin had to say.
6:53pm
>> for me, it's very, very hard to think about reeva dying in a violent way. and i don't want to go to the place where i have to imagine her being frightened and scared and running for her life. and that, for me, is very, very difficult. i have lots of questions, lots and lots of questions. but i believe that when the trial starts, the truth's going to come out and we're going to get to the bottom of this. >> at a time like this when people are grieving, i think it's hard to keep a clear mind on anything. and with the added pressure and the media coverage and the interest, you know from the world looking into this story, it's rather unnatural situation. so i suppose i would agree with everyone that's flipping from one side to the other.
6:54pm
we just don't know. all we want is we want to know what the truth is. and i think that's what everyone else would like as well, to be able to make something of this. to be able to deal with this and have something positive come out of this. >> now for a closer look at who reeva steenkamp was, here's gary tuchman. >> beautiful, smart, reeva steenkamp had a big future ahead of her. she had worked as a paralegal but was gaining international fame as a world class model. she had come a long way from the sleepy seaside town where she grew up to the bright lights and big city of johannesburg, south africa. where she was shot to death by oscar pistorius. to those who loved her, it's all inconceivable. >> reeva's not supposed to be
6:55pm
dead. reeva had her whole life ahead of her. she was going to be doing great things. >> but for reeva steenkamp, great things were already happening. in 2011 and 2012, she was ranked by south africa's version of fhm magazine as one of the 100 sexiest women in the world. hagan engler was the editor. >> she was a bikini model. but she had a wicked sense of humor. she understood the industry she was in and really intelligent. always fun to work with. >> when she started dating pistorius, a south african power couple was born. >> let's see what's behind door number one. >> and in 2013 -- >> go! >> reeva was making her reality television debut on a program called "tropica island."
6:56pm
>> my name is reeva. we're in jamaica this year. >> the first episode of the show still aired this week and reeva's producers say just days before her funeral. a private ceremony attended by more than 100 friends and relatives, including her father, barry, her mother, june, and her uncle, mike. >> this is a family. that's all we want is reeva. there's a space missing. >> adam steenkamp is reeva's brother. >> we're going to keep all the positive things that we remember and know about my sister and we will try and continue with the things that she tried to make better. we'll miss her. >> the family is grief-stricken and bewildered. reeva's mother, june, telling the local paper, all we want are
6:57pm
answers, answers as to why this had to happen, why our beautiful daughter had to die like this. as it turned out, reeva was voted off the reality show. but if she was sad, it didn't show. instead, she left with warm, lovely thoughts for all those she'd met on the island. >> you literally fall in love with jamaica. you fall in love with being in love with love. this is one love everywhere. i'm going home with sort of a sweet taste in my mouth. i don't have any regrets. i don't have any bitter moments. i take home with me so many amazing memories and things that are in here and that are in here that i'll treasure forever. i'm going to miss you all so much. i love you very, very much. up to be the world's best sport sedan... ♪
6:58pm
...people noticed. ♪ the all-new cadillac ats -- 2013 north american car of the year. ♪ for a limited time, take advantage of this exceptional offer on the all-new cadillac ats. but i'm still stubbed up. [ male announcer ] truth is, nyquil doesn't unstuff your nose. what? [ male announcer ] alka-seltzer plus liquid gels speeds relief to your worst cold symptoms
6:59pm
plus has a decongestant for your stuffy nose. thanks. that's the cold truth! it's delicious. so now we've turned her toffee into a business. my goal was to take an idea and make it happen. i'm janet long and i formed my toffee company through legalzoom. i never really thought i would make money doing what i love. [ robert ] we created legalzoom to help people start their business and launch their dreams. go to legalzoom.com today and make your business dream a reality. at legalzoom.com we put the law on your side. [ male announcer ] make your escape... twice as rewarding. earn double points or double miles on all your hotel stays through march thirty first. sign up now at hiltondouble.com.

Terms of Use (10 Mar 2001)